Saturday, March 23, 2013

My Trick for Teaching Order of Operations to a Severe Dyscalculic Worked!

We hit "order of operations" in math yesterday. The equations combine addition, subtraction, division and multiplication. You have to figure out what to do first, because it doesn't go in a left to right sequence. It took me a few minutes of Celeste completely blanking as I struggled to explain that some things you did first, and then you boiled those numbers down.....Giant Sea of Blankness. Celeste's most severe learning disability is the dyscalculia. She scored in the 2nd percentile in math. This January she scored in the 4th percentile, after years of professional, one on one "intervention". I also want to remind you I have dyscalculia, so I generally suck at math too. I got 20% one semester in grade nine math. The trick I came up with was to explain it as if the operations were waiting in line for a great new movie. Multiplication and division have VIP passes, so they get to jump the line and get "let in" before addition or subtraction. I told here there was no preference in the VIP or regular lines, division didn't have more VIP status than multiplication, once they were in the VIP line, it was first come first serve. Same thing with the regular line where poor old addition and subtraction are waiting. One doesn't trump  the other, it is first come first serve again. She got it! I kept asking over and over, "who has the VIP pass?" and she consistently answered correctly. It is interesting that physical math manipulative are totally ineffective for her, but "real world concept" manipulatives, that she can relate to from her day to day experience, seem to work. Now I have to see if she retains it. That is another huge issue, is that she has never built an understanding of basic operations. She really seemed to get division, we just finished that section and she passed with a 87%. We never could have gotten to this level if she still didn't get division.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait ti use this!! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Kellee! Hope you are doing well.

      Delete
  2. Miss Kellee Farr is on my facebook, so sometimes I follow her stories. My son is all that up above but the dyslexia. I actually think the only reason he isn't dyslexic is because Winnie the Pooh taught him to read in kindergarten...it was very visual/exciting/instantly rewarding. I've got a degree in special ed (long before Ben arrived...I never used it but one year :(... )I know that sounds stupid, but...I think if our kiddos are taught in the way they learn, they never 'get behind'. It's just a theory...

    Bless your heart and good luck. Online home-schooling ROCKS. (Been there...if the damn public school wasn't going to teach him because he didn't fit their mold, somebody had to.) I think he is brilliant, but maybe it's just me. I can't wait to see what life has in store for him. It's a struggle all the while, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless your heart, your son is very lucky to have a smart, common sense mum like you! Thanks, I need all the luck I can get. It is worth it to see her thriving after watching the spectacular crash that happened very quickly in the transition to middle school.

      Delete